Sunday, December 19, 2010

Day 04 Blogging Challenge--the Soundtrack

15 songs that represent my life's soundtrack.

This is a lot harder than I thought it was going to be. I've gotten up and walked away and come back to this a bajillionty times this morning.  

Numbers 1 and 2 and 3 are easy.

1.  Aslyn's-That's When I Love You.
I walked down the aisle to my husband with this song playing, and it will forever be a part of my soundtrack.  I can't find the version that we used, but it was a little more acoustic and slow compared to this version.

2.Allman Brothers-Soulshine.  
This is "our song."

3. Israel "IZ" Kaʻanoʻi Kamakawiwoʻole- Somewhere over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World
Same as number 1 and 2.

4.  Bowling for Soup- 99 Biker Friends
When I was going through a really, really, really dark period in my life, one of my best friends, who happens to be a biker friend, played this song for me, and it was kind of my mantra.  I mean, who doesn't need 99 biker friends to go kick someone's ass?

5.  Cherry Poppin' Daddies-Zoot Suit Riot
This is just one of the more popular songs  that's indicative of all swing/jive music.  I love, love to dance and sometimes think I would have been better suited to having been born in the 20s.

6.  Jesse Cook- Tango Flamenco
Any flamenco music, really.  How many can claim that they were on the flamenco dance team in high school? Yeah, I'm a dork.  Yeah, I don't care.  I loved it, and I still love flamenco guitar.

7.  Alanis Morrissette-ummm, really anything from the "Jagged Little Pill" album
How many angsty teenagers DIDN'T have this album when it came out?

8. Jimmy Buffett--Fruitcakes
Do I need to say anything more? My nickname has been "Fruitcake" since I was 11.

9.  Jimmy Buffett--When the Coast is Clear
I am a Gulf Coast girl from the tip of my head to the polish on my toenails.  I was devastated when the BP oil spill happened, and I was sitting on the beach listening to Jimmy Buffett when he played this song in Gulf Shores. 



10.  The Proclaimers-500 Miles
If there is ever a song more designed to get stuck in your head, this is it.

11.  Michael Franti/Spearhead--Hello Bonjour
The whole album is pretty politically charged, but the messages in nearly all of his songs are pretty powerful. Hello Bonjour is my favorite--why are we so intolerant of people who are different than we are?


12.   Nickel Creek-When You Come Back Down
My mama and Joe dedicated this song to me when I graduated from high school.  And I still believe with all my heart that Joe is and will forever be there for me, even though I can't see him here.  He and my mama always supported my dreams, and they were my "solid ground" while I was flying high. 

13.  Cowboy Mouth-Hurricane Party
This was my absolute favorite Cowboy Mouth song before Hurricane Katrina ravaged their hometown, and they have done a lot to rebuild their city.  And anyone who has every lived in a hurricane area, this song is so true--it means one things--a hurricane party! If you've never listened to Cowboy Mouth, check out some of their other songs as well.

14. Weezer--Undone
Straight back to 7th grade.

15.  Cheap Trick-I Want You to Want Me.
This song has cheered me up from many a miserable mood.  It is the best down-in-the-dumps antidote known to man, especially when dancing to it with your favorite Mr. Fabulousness.


0 comments: