Monday, January 18, 2010

Awesome Book: "The Help"

I stumbled across this book on Amazon and bought it on a whim.  I have a Kindle, so it was there for about a week before I started reading it.  And once I started, I couldn't put it down.







If you grew up in the South, or knew someone who grew up in the South, or had parents who grew up in the South, this book will speak to you. The Amazon review doesn't do it justice. It tells the story of the black maids that work in the homes of the white families in Jackson, Mississippi in the late 1950s and 1960s, just about the time that the integration movement was sweeping the United States......unless you lived in the Heart of Dixie.  It's the story of the women that came into the homes and raised white children, while leaving their own children at home so that they could have food on the table.  It's the story of their hearts and the joys and heartbreaks that they faced, and of the dichotomy of love and hate that they shared with the white families that hired them.

1 comments:

G said...

i know nothing of the south. I'm also a little afraid of it.