Thursday, February 1, 2007

breakin' the rules once i learn the game

Miss P's thought for the day:
{I had a discussion with a guy friend of mine last night about Man Law--the whole elaborate system intrigued me.  Supposedly, there is a system of rules that guys just...know.  This made me wonder what rules we ladies labide by.  What rules am I unknowingly breaking?  For example: No dating your friend's ex without permission...what's the deal?}
If there are imaginary rules, I...apparently...live to break them.  Mostly because I consider myself clueless when it comes to "playing the game."  But, seeing as how I was in a sorority once upon a time, and certain rules--albeit unspoken most of the time--governed some of OUR actions, maybe I can expound.  Perhaps not clearly, and certainly not with any authority, but who's counting?
Yeah, the dating of a friend's ex is a tricky area.  My own rule...unless I know for certain that a friend is completely over someone, and for that matter, usually seeing someone else, I steer clear of it.  In my opinion, it's just bad practice.  When you cross that invisible line, you end up making enemies unknowingly, not to mention getting caught in a tangled web. Obviously, if the breakup was a harsh one and your friend is particularly vulnerable, you're only setting yourself up for disaster. 
White shoes after Labor Day.  I know.  It's outdate, and some women say to screw the rule, but it's been ingrained in me since I was old enough to dress myself.  My grandmother would roll over in her grave if she saw me wearing white shoes at Thanksgiving...
I know exactly who to thank for the next one: sitting down while smoking and/or drinking.  And heaven forbid you do both at the same time.  I break this rule all the time, but nevertheless, the etiquette-trained voice inside my head always reminds me that it's not "ladylike."  (Which begs the question: What IS ladylike in this day and age?)
This one pisses me off: Don't talk about your sexual exploits...or, don't kiss and tell. And never reveal how many sexual partners you've had, whether it's 0 or 100.  (I disagree.  In the confines of a relationship, honesty and communication are the only grounds for success.  It depends on the relationship, though.  But I digress.)  Granted, it depends on your personal views here, but this goes back to the last couple of days worth of postings and the double-standard that exists for men versus women. 
Pillowcase openings should always face the same direction.  Enough said.
You can't ask to borrow something if the person you're borrowing it from hasn't gotten to use said item yet.  Generally, I'm referring to clothes and shoes and the like, but I'm stingy about books, too.  If I haven't read it yet, get your hands off :-)
If you're riding in a car with a group of people, and the person who is driving has a significant other, and that particular significant other is riding in said car, that person trumps all calls of "shotgun."  Bastards.
If I take a picture with my camera, and you say, "Oooh! Lemme see it!," you owe me a drink.  And/or a pack of batteries.  (If you carry batteries around with you on a regular basis (and not because you're a camera freak like me)--just as someone who likes to be all extra-prepared, I'd like to meet you and pick your brain.)
I'm having a hell of a hard time coming up with anything.  This topic has given me a severe case of writer's fog. (it's not so much of a 'block" as it is a "haze") I'm going to
go ahead and post this, but I'll probably add more as the day goes on.
Readers...go for it.  Happy Friday!

0 comments: