Monday, July 19, 2004

Stonehenge was beautiful. Really. Anyone who says it's only a pile of rocks hasn't been there. And Old Sarum, the ruins near Salisbury, were also fabulous.




On Saturday, Amy, Jen and I took a day trip to Bath, where the Roman bathhouses were. Walking inside the temple, knowing that thousands of years ago Romans walked in the same place, was fascinating. The actual baths are still functional, though not open to the public except for viewing. They're heated by hot springs, and it's really, really neat to walk through them.



I found Paddington Bear! I had a Paddington when I was younger, and lo and behold, his home is Paddington Station. Yay for the litte things that make me happy.



While we were in Bath, we decided that July 17th is a black mark on our calendar. Jen almost lost her favorite sunglasses, Amy was pickpocketed (they stole her ATM card) and my BritRail pass (the way I was to get back to London from Bath) was loast and then found again (some very kind Brit turned it in at the train station...) We went dumpster diving looking for both the BritRail and the ATM card, and ultimately just wanted to get back to London at the end of the day.



Jen is a shopaholic. Literally. We found this department store, Selfridge's, which makes Bloomingdale's look tiny. It's actually bigger than Harrod's , and not quite so pricey, but still pricey enough. They carried Armani, Gucci, Burberry, Prada, Louis Vuitton, and any other designer you could imagine. Jen ended up buying some shoes and a shirt, and I just kind of walked around in starry-eyed wonder. I did buy a shawl like everyone wears here- a black one that I absolutely love, for £10 from a street vendor.



I miss home, though. No matter what I do here, I end the day here counting down the days I have left. I wish it weren't like that, but I guess it's inescapable. The girl who can't travel enough is homesick (but only slightly!). I'm doing better than one of my classmates, however- she has a return flight to the US on Wednesday. She's been miserable since she left Mobile, so I guess it's better for her, but I hate that she's wasting the trip. As much as I miss home, I wouldn't give it up for anything. (and Springhillians, it wasn't anyone from our group- it was a girl from Mississippi State).



Lots and lots of pics to amuse you www.picturetrail.com.catrelle83



Be forewarned- there are about a million and seven pictures of Stonehenge, but there are lots of other fun things, too.



Love and miss y'all!

0 comments: